With spring officially here, a spring clean is probably at the top of your to do list. But have you thought about cleaning your louvres? Here, we will go over some key tips for maintaining your louvres.
Powder coat and anodised finish maintenance
Over time and with exposure to the elements, powder coatings may show some signs of weathering, such as loss of gloss, chalking and slight colour change. Regular maintenance can minimise the effects of weathering and ensure that dirt, grime and salt do not build up.
1. Do not allow dirt, grime or salt to accumulate on the powder coating.
2. Wash powder coating with warm water, non-abrasive pH neutral detergent and a soft cloth or brush.
3. Recommended frequency of cleaning:
- General environments (every 6 months)
- Marine/industrial environments (every 1-3 months)
4. Ensure that all surfaces and crevices are rinsed thoroughly after cleaning.
Hardware and components maintenance
Components are manufactured from 316 marine grade stainless steel and although this material performs considerably better than plated steels, it is still susceptible to corrosion if not properly maintained.
1. Wash with warm water, non-abrasive pH neutral detergent and a soft cloth or brush. Allow to dry completely.
2. Lightly spray all carriers, pivots and brackets with a corrosion preventative (CRC marine 66, Innox or WD40).
3. Give areas a light wipe with a dry cloth to remove any excess product.
To maintain tracks:
1. Spray food grade silicon on the inner lip of each side of the track.
2. Ensure the carriers pass through the lubricant and that it is distributed evenly along the track.
3. Apply additional lubricant around carriers.
4. Give areas a light wipe with a dry cloth to remove any excess product.
NOTE: Stainless steel is not stain free. Nearly all stainless steel will eventually get a condition called ‘tea staining’, which is associated with exposure to coastal environments. It causes a discoloration of the surface but does not affect the structural integrity or longevity of the material. Stainless steel products can maintain a lustrous appearance if properly cared for.
1. Wash with warm water, non-abrasive pH neutral detergent and a soft cloth/brush. Allow to dry completely.
2. Spray with a corrosion preventative (CRC marine 66, Innox or WD40).
3. The effects of prevailing winds, topography, shielding, pollution and temperature can create regions of higher than average effects (areas up to 20km from coast can be affected).
IMPORTANT: Stainless steel hardware is not warranted against the effects of tea staining. Preservation and prevention is the responsibility of the customer.